5 interesting facts about silk
Did You Know?
- Silk has much lower density than cotton, wool and nylon. Silk can absorb moisture up to one third of its own weight without feeling damp.
- Silk cocoons consist of a single raw fibre which is approximately 1 km long.
- Mulberry silk worms feed exclusively on Mulberry leaves.
- The finest quality mulberry silk comes from silk worm type known as Bombyx Mori that means "mulberry tree silk caterpillar"
- Silk textile strength is as strong as steel, making silk the strongest natural fiber in the world - 30 times stronger than cotton!
The picture on the right is taken from a silk farmer, in the background the raw mulberry.